Our current hours are posted to the right. We are also available to accept donations, with restrictions as noted below, and renew your membership.
We look forward to seeing you!
Please refer to the following guidelines before you bring in your donations.
The overriding guideline when you donate to the Friends is as follows: If you would not purchase the item in its present condition, please do not donate the item. This guideline is based on our ability to resell the item and our very limited storage space.
Presently, we are unable to accept:
- Large donations (more than four shopping bags or four boxes) without specific arrangements; please talk to volunteers at the Bookstore
- Books and other written materials that are not in good condition, including those that are damp, moldy, smelly, smoky, with torn pages and covers, underlined/highlighted, etc.
- Books such as:
- General fiction and mystery books without dust jackets, or with older than 2010 copyrights. We may make exceptions for classic literature (our decision)
- Old and outdated atlases, computer manuals, price lists for collectors, guides, textbooks older than three years, library discards, pornographic materials, and catalogs
- Encyclopedias and other multi-volume sets
- Readers Digest condensed fiction and non-fiction
- Audio-visual materials such as VHS (any subject) and cassettes (any format)
- Magazines older than the last four months except craft and food magazines older than the last 12 months
Contact a volunteer for guidance before you bring in “questionable material”.
Thank you for your cooperation in making the Friends Bookstore a pleasant place to browse and shop!
Friends of the Castro Valley Library
Friends of the Castro Valley Library is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization serving our community and supporting the Castro Valley Library by providing funds for library services, organizing fund raising and community activities, advocating at the local, state and national level for public support of libraries and developing an active and well-informed membership.
Our BookStore contains over 2500 almost new and used books, audio books, CDs and DVDs with a constant turnover of the inventory. Only the best quality of all the donated books are sold in the store. Special books may be sold online through Amazon.com. In addition, each year over 1200 boxes of good quality books and audio-visual materials are put in temporary storage for our three annual weekend Book Sales. Remaining books are donated to deserving organizations and programs throughout Alameda County.